Sunday, August 23, 2009

Malcolm Turnbull as an ALP minister?

Actually I can see this. Lets face it, Turnbull certainly isnt that far, ideologically, from the NSW Right of the ALP and probably has more in common with the intelligentsia of the ALP Left than the National Party so its really no surprise that he'd consider the ALP or that the party would consider him.

I am glad, however, the relationship didnt flower.

Turnbull has some political views but I think the only one that he'd really live and die by is that whatever is good for Malcolm is good for his party and the nation as a whole. Hey, I have no problem with a politician compromising his beliefs to win the odd election, after all being a principled, but irrelevant, opposition might be virtuous but its hardly useful. But I think its still important to have those beliefs and to know when you are giving up on them. With Malcolm I sense that compromise is all to easy and I wonder what he really, truly stands for. In opposition this is annoying, in government this could be a real concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment