Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Clubs NSW TV AD - a followup

Well, there's a first time for everything and today was the first time I got an "official" response to one of my blog posts - which is pretty cool (man does that make be sad or what?!?).

Anyway, a rep from Clubs NSW has sent me an extremely polite email pointing out my error and that there are in fact a number of references to people of other than an anglo-celtic background in their piece. Specifically,

  • At the 20 second mark of the advertisement, there is a family dining together and enjoying a club meal who are of Asian background.
  • At the 46 second mark, there is signage on a golf course that includes the words “Con’s Green”, “Raj’s Fairway” and “Raul’s Rough”
  • At the 55 second mark, the names “Bella” and “Fatima” are shown in neon writing."
Ok, I've gone back, had a look and sure enough its all there. But if we look at the ad not so much as a text to be studied but rather as a method of communicating a message I thinks its still a concern that I drew the conclusion I did. Lets face it, if I, a fifth generation Australian of Irish heritage, has my radar send a warning signal I suspect many others also felt a little disquiet with the ad.

So clubs NSW - I was wrong, there is a place for 'the others' at your venues. Hey, maybe I'm the only person out there whose had this reaction and there's something worng with me. But, if I'm not wrong, and if you've had this reaction from other people, you might want to think about how you advertise in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment