Friday, April 27, 2012

First season down, my plan for the next one

So my plan for 2011/12 didn't quite come off. I had planned to do a short course club event with Tomaree (check), a long course with Tomaree (check), a sprint distance in a "big" tri like the Gatorade series( check) and Olympic distance tri - the Sparke Helmore specifically (check) and a half ironman in cairns (fail).

Looking back this wasn't really a bad run for my first year in the sport.   Now, what next? Well I'm thinking this broad plan.

1. Port Macquarrie 70.3 in Oct 12.

2. Gatorade Series (sprint) in Melbourne for the 12/13 season.

3. Cairns 70.3 in June 13.

4. Busselton IM Dec 13.

The thinking behind this plan is pretty simple.

A. Build more endurance til October with 20 something clear weeks to prep for my first really long event.

B. Work on speed for few months (and really enjoy some - comparatively - hell for leather racing)

C. Get back into serious endurance lead-in to my second the half ironman.

D. After my second half, take a week or so off and then launch into another 20 week program for my first full ironman until I hear those words:

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!

That plan means two and a half years from lazy fat arse to ironman. I think that's a nice, realistic plan. Yeah I could do it faster and the magazines are full of stories of people going from zero to hero in less than a year but really, why risk it.  I'm 45 years old, my knees, ankles, shoulders arent what they once were.  I plan to do these triathlons "well", pressing to meet a meaningless schedule in a race against - well - no one - is a recipe for breaking down and achieving nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment