Friday, September 16, 2011

Two milestones achieved

A big day today.

1. I finally managed to be classified as Overweight (ie a BMI of over 26.9 but under 30). That might not sound like an achievement but remember I came it overweight from obese (BMI over 30) so getting down to overweight is great. When I started this journey I weighed 128 kgs, at 192 cm this gave me a bmi of 34.7. Frankly, this was scary for me, I felt sick all the time and was seriously concerned I was heading for a heart attack. Now I'm 109.3 kg, for a BMI of 29.7.

I'm not at my goal weight yet, and even then this isnt really about weight. At some point I'm going to stop worrying about weight and start tracking fat content.

My next weight goal is to get under the tonne - that is 99kg. This would also give me a BMI of 26.8 so put me in the healthy range. Note, I know the BMI is a flawed metric not really suitable for tracking individual health but still its a commonly understood measure.

2. I also ran 10.3 km today. This is the longest run I have ever tried. I had to slow to a walk twice on the return leg, for about 50 meters each time, as I just couldnt keep it going. More than anything the small (but very steep) hills on my 'course' really sucked the life out of my legs.

But, one thing I learned from my first triathlon is that no course is flat and if I want to improve I must get used to hills.

The best news is, however, what I dont have to report. I have no foot, ankle, knee or back pain to report. That is fantastic! That said I'm interested to see how I pull up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment