Monday, September 12, 2011

First triathlon completed - now I just want more!

Mt first triathlon is done and I loved it! I want to do it again but better. Still I'm glad I've got a few more weeks of training because as much as part of me just wants to go again the part of me that remembers how badly I dealt with some tiny hills, a gentle head wind and the odd little dip and rise on the run knows I need to train more.

What do I need to do:

1. I need to keep losing weight. On the morning of the tri I weighed 112 kgs. Not bad considering I was 128 when I started getting ready for this back in May but still too heavy. Next race is in four weeks and I want to be in the 108-109 range at least.

2. I need to work on my swimming. I was the first out of the water (in the very small field doing the short course) but I did bugger all training. I did very, very little training in the water before this event, I can make this a lot faster relatively easily.

3. I have to build more hills into my riding. I'm ok on the flat but being a fat bastard the hills really hurt and I need to work on this in training so that I dont go to pieces in the race.

4. I need to stretch my running distance.

Ok, so those are the lessons. But what were my results? Well remember, for my first ever triathlon I did a tiddler, a half sprint;a 250m swim, 10k ride, 2.5k run. And my times were 4:57 (swim), 25:28 (ride), 16:09 (run). I didnt achieve the tao of tri though - my form sucked, my transitions were the definition of sloppy and I had to fight my body on a couple of occasions. But still I'm starting.

My next race is 2 Oct. I'm planning to do another half sprint. My plan is to go a little better across the board. Depending on how that goes I could be attacking a full course sprint in November. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment