Thursday, July 23, 2009

Culture and Sport

I'm a fan of novels, film, theater. Not a fan of opera and ballet but I enjoy reading classics like Hemingway, Conrad and even the odd Russian. So all in all I don't consider my inner life a cultural wasteland.

And yet I love a good sporting match. Especially Australian Rules Football. A great game has everything a great Shakespearean play could hope for plus the bonus of not knowing the ending. There are heroes and villains, hidden motives and plot twists we can only unravel after years of critical reading. The casts are huge, the characters multidimensional, complex and ambiguous. What more can one ask for, really.

Ok, I can ask for one more thing - that following my team, the Richmond Tigers, be less of a comic tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment