Sunday, March 11, 2012

The value of tri magazines to us noobs

As a self coached tri noob, magazines are an invaluable source.of information. This week i've employed.twotraining techniques I picked up from these mags and so far they've proven themselves.to be brilliant ideas.

The first is the use of treadmills in speed training. Early in the week I missed my morning ride, got home too late to ride after work and didnt have a lot of time anyway. Then I remembered the story I had just read where a number of elite athletes discussed their use of treadmills, specifically I remembered a couple of athletes saying that the treadmill was great for short, sharp speed sessions, driving you to hit particular speeds.and to,keep your stride short and cadence up. So in that spirit I set myself a 5k time trial on the treadmill.

This was fantastic for a couple of reasons.

1. No drifting off and letting your speed slacken

2. No cheating by streching out my stride too far

3. I could see, and increase my speed at will.

So why is this great. Well speed is my major problem with running, distancee is coming along nicely but im stuck in a speed.rut, it like my body has decided that a 5:30 to 6:00 minute k is the fastest im going to do.

But on the treadmill I cansee that speed and withthe press of a little button make it faster. So starting at 10 kph (6 minute ks) I gradually drove ths up. 10.5 kph, 11 kph, 11.2, 11.5, 11.7, 12, 12.3, 12.5, 12.7, 13, 13.5...

I held 13.5 kph for the last 1.5 ks of my indoor timetrial.

So big deal, I ran fast on one treadmill session, so what. Well, the next day I went for a 'real' run. And im certain my body remebered that speed. Suddenly my average speed for 7ks out there on the road jumped 0.5 kph faster than ive ever managed before. Im convinced it was the speed session the previous.night that caused this.

So now the 5k time trial will be part of my weekly routine. It doesnt take long, doesnt hurt much, requires little recovery but has huge.payoffs.

I strongly recommend it as a workout for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment